Monday, March 19, 2007

What I'm Reading

Or rather... listening to. I am a subscriber of Audible, a service which, for a reasonable fee, allows me to download two audiobooks per month, which I then listen to while working. Right now I'm finishing up FoLD page 17 and listening to Neil Gaiman's book Coraline. This book is amazing, it's like a dark, twisted version of Alice in Wonderland (in a good way, not the shitty, American McGee way). Stardust remains my favorite Neil Gaiman book, but I think Coraline may end up in a close second place. I also downloaded his new short story collection Fragile Things, which I have yet to listen to.

The only bad thing about listening to Coraline is that I don't get Dave McKean's illustrations in the print version. I may have to pick that one up just to look at the pictures, after all I have two versions of Stardust: the paperback novel version that I originally read, and the trade paperback with illustrations by Charles Vess.

And look, here's the poster for the Coraline movie, directed by Henry Selick, of The Nightmare Before Christmas and James and the Giant Peach. And... and Monkeybone, but I won't hold that against him.


No comments:

Post a Comment