Tuesday, December 01, 2009

Skepticism 2.0

Today I was reading Skeptical Inquirer, which is a magazine I've never picked up before. I usually read Skeptic Magazine, but the articles in this one were great. This issue's feature was on Skepticism 2.0, which involves the newer generation of skeptics (i.e., people my age) using new technology such as blogging and podcasting to spread skepticism. Hey, that's what I'm trying to do! This is relevant to my interests, as the kids and lolcats are known to proclaim.

A few decades ago, the skepticism movement was confined to larger organizations such as CSICOP (the Center for Skeptical somesuch or whatever, don't make me look up what it stands for) and generally people got their skeptical news and info from mailing lists and newsletters, and magazines such as Skeptic. These days there's a huge and growing grassroots movement to spread skepticism, and younger people like myself are getting involved more and more as it becomes cheaper and easier to get info out there to the masses.

It's nice to be part of a movement.

No comments:

Post a Comment