Thursday, October 05, 2006

Comic Book Recommendation of the Week

THE VAULT OF MICHAEL ALLRED #1 of 4
By Michael Allred


Not that much came out this week really. All three issues I bought were new series or, in the case of my recommendation this week, a magazine-like collection of artwork, interviews, commentaries, and photos of one of my favorite comic book creators, Mike Allred. Allred is one of the biggest influences in my own comic book work, so it's amazing to be able to sit down and trace his evolution as an artist from his earliest work in the eighties to the point he's at now.

The other two things I picked up were Brian K. Vaughan's Dr. Strange: The Omen #1 and Criminal #1 by Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips. I haven't read either one yet.

I just got back into town after four days in New York City. Saw a show at the Laugh Factory, featuring Judah Friedlander and three other guys I'd never heard of, but all were good. I also watched a taping of The Late Show with David Letterman, which had the hilarious Amy Sedaris, and as the musical guest there was Trey Anastasio, who I understand used to host a fishing show or something.

I picked up the third season DVD of Penn & Teller's Bullshit!, which is a wonderful show, and was surprised to see a new Beck CD at the store. The Beck CD, which has been called "The Information," has a four-page booklet of white grid paper. There is no text or pictures, but there is a sheet of stickers, which you can use to create your own cover art, booklet, and back cover for the CD. Later I may post a picture of mine.

5 comments:

  1. You didn't pick up Neverwhere #9? I just read the whole series in one sitting, and it was great! Criminal was alright, as well. I almost got Dr. Strange, but opted not to. Was this a mistake?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know Neverwhere #9 came out. In fact I don't know if Funny Steve still has Neverwhere on the shelf. I'll try to pick it up next week if it's there. I read Criminal and thought it was great. I'm going to continue picking it up. Dr. Strange I haven't read yet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, did you see LOST this week? I'm sure you did. What did you think? I'm very excited about this season and where it will lead. And we finally found out where the polar bears (and probably the shark too) came from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOST was awesome. Surprisingly, Joel liked it. I watched the special features on the Season 2 DVD and the tattoo on the shark was just an easter egg the prop guys threw on it. It was never supposed to be visible on the show. All I have to say is that it sucks that we'll have to wait a few months after the first four episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Correction: the first six episodes. Speaking of television, what did you think of Extras this week? The Coldplay bit at the beginning was hilarious. Also, If I were Andy Millman, I would have murdered my female friend and my agent months ago.

    ReplyDelete