Saturday, December 02, 2006

Comic Book Recommendation of the Week

Acme Novelty Library #17
By Chris Ware

This is my first experience with Chris Ware's narrative work, having been impressed with his art after seeing it last week at the New York Jewish Museum. His art is very simplistic and clean, and he writes the kind of comic stories I love to read, the "slice-of-life" type stuff seen in Daniel Clowes and Guy Delisle's work.

Also read this week:

The Punisher vol. 6: Barracuda - Possibly my favorite of the Punisher MAX stories so far.
The Punisher X-Mas - One of the first non-Ennis written Punisher stories I've liked. Definitely better than last year's Christmas special.
Supermarket - I liked this story a lot until the ending, which seemed rushed. The artwork is very good, though.
The Walking Dead #32 - Really good. I'm glad the story's starting to pick up again after a few issues of not much happening.
Batman/The Spirit - I loved Darwyn Cooke's artwork, but Jeph Loeb's story just seemed cheesy and unnecessary. It seems this book was made for no reason other than to team up Batman and The Spirit, not because there was a good idea for a story. I'm looking forward to Darwyn Cooke's ongoing Spirit comic, though, since he's writing it himself.
Criminal #2 - Tops even the first issue. This is a really great series. I'm going to have to go back and pick up Sleeper now.
Gorillaz: The Rise of the Ogre - Being a huge fan of both the Gorillaz' music and Jamie Hewlett's artwork, this was a no-brainer. Haven't read it all yet, but it's definitely a funny and beautiful book.
David Boring - The second act of this three-act book by Daniel Clowes seemed a little out-of-place, but overall it was very enjoyable and beautifully drawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment