Sunday, December 10, 2006

Flight of the Living Dead Update

Did a new page today. I really love this comic and I'm enjoying the hell out of drawing every page. The main purpose of doing FoLD was, well, mainly to get back into doing webcomics, since it's sort of where I got my start and I enjoy the structure of a serialized story where feedback is instantaneous. But the purpose was also to push myself over the next year into doing some more experimental stuff and figuring out what works about my style and what doesn't work, and getting faster at producing pages on a regular deadline while still trying to maintain a standard of quality.

What this means is that sometimes I try stuff in FoLD that I wouldn't do normally, just to try it. There will sometimes be stuff that will look out of place or awkward, because I'm trying it out for the first time. I might decide to do a page in a stark, black-and-white Frank Miller style or incorporate photos or try other things that I might normally shy away from. I might even do a page or two in color. The first eight pages are all being done in inkwash, which is something I've tried before but have never really embraced fully. These pages look good, though, and I'm liking the way the gray tones complement my line work. It's giving my stuff a Ross Campbell feel that I really enjoy.

The comic starts three weeks from tomorrow, and continues every week for the next year. I cannot tell you how excited, but also scared, I am about this. I fully intend to meet every deadline and make sure each page goes up when it's supposed to. For someone like me, who is used to missing deadlines and shirking responsibility, that's terrifying.

And if this goes well, I've recently come up with a name for the sequel, which (like Flight of the Living Dead) is another zombie title I can't believe hasn't been used already.

No comments:

Post a Comment