Friday, September 15, 2006

Why I Hate Microsoft, pt. I

This is the first in what I can only imagine will be a long, long line of bile-filled diatribes against the constant, malicious pebble in my damn shoe that is Microsoft. The most recent blog update on this site, concerning a comic book I enjoyed and wished to share with you, my friends, took about three minutes to type into my computer. It took about two minutes to find the picture of the cover on DC Comics' website and save it to my desktop for use in the blog. It would take me appoximately five minutes, using a relatively decent webediting program, such as Dreamweaver, to put the update together and upload it to my site. But, since I don't have Dreamweaver and decided to do all my updates in Microsoft Word, thus allowing the bother of writing the HTML code for each of these things to be taken out of my hands and placed upon Microsoft's hairy, pimply shoulder, it took an hour.

An hour! For that little review of PRIDE OF BAGHDAD. Because every time I tried placing the image on the page, it created a new version of the picture, scaled up 125% and saved to a seperate folder. I opened the HTML file in Notepad and proceeded to fix the mistakes, but opening the document in Word again meant the program deleted the picture outright from my page.

What this would have meant is that from now on, every time I wanted to update this blog and have any picture on this page remain the size and filename that I originally gave it, I would have to do all the code myself in Notepad. Which is still a goddamn Microsoft product! The irony!

So now I'm using Blogger. Which means you can post comments and talk smack about me if you want. Please feel free.

And join me tomorrow for part II of Why I Hate Microsoft, when I go after Internet Explorer, Xbox, and Minesweeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment